Got questions? We’ve got answers

Each year, SafeWork NSW’s Customer Experience team receives thousands of enquiries from workers and employers across NSW. We’ve compiled a few of the more commonly-asked questions, along with some simple answers.

Click the links if you’d like more detailed information, or as always talk safety with us by calling 13 10 50.

Q: How do I report an injury and lodge a workers compensation claim?

A: The first step in claiming compensation for a work related injury is to tell your employer as soon as possible. Your employer must then notify their insurer of the injury within 48 hours, and if the injury is serious, they must also notify SafeWork NSW.

For more information see Reporting an injury and Workers and claims.
Q: Can SafeWork NSW provide me with workers compensation insurance?

A: SafeWork NSW does not provide workers compensation insurance. There are five licensed insurance agents; Allianz, CGU, Employers’ Mutual, GIO and QBE.

For more information see Workers compensation insurers.
Q: How do I replace a lost construction induction card (white card)?

A: If your contact details are still up to date, you may apply for a replacement via an online system. You will be charged a $32.50 replacement fee.

For more information see White cards (CIC).
Q: How does a workplace safety issue become a request for service or complaint to SafeWork NSW?

A: Before SafeWork NSW becomes involved in the work health and safety issue, parties affected by the issue should first try resolving it within the workplace. If reporting it to your supervisor, work health and safety representative or union representative does not resolve the issue, then you should engage SafeWork NSW.

For more information see Safety complaints.
Q: What is considered workplace bullying, and what can be done about it?

A: Workplace bullying is defined as repeated, unreasonable behaviour directed towards a worker or a group of workers, that creates a risk to health and safety.

Your first step is to request the behaviour to stop. If that fails, check your workplace bullying policy, keep records of incidents and report it. It is your workplace’s obligation to handle all work health and safety issues, including bullying, in accordance with the Work Health and Safety Act.

For more information see Workplace bullying.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s