An employer has been fined a record $1 million after a subcontractor suffered an electric shock and burns to 30 per cent of his body, while installing windows in a set of apartments.

The worker was standing on scaffolding at the front of the apartments, installing angles on the windows, when the angle he was holding came in close proximity to the 33Kv power line adjacent to the window ledge.

The district court judge said the employer showed a ‘blatant disregard of its safety obligations’, given that it had already been issued with two improvement notices and three prohibition notices for similar contraventions.

Judge Scotting said the employer was aware of the risk posed by the work but did not warn the worker.

Read the district court judgment for more information.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Category

Case study, News, Prosecution, Uncategorized, Workplace safety